My website is hosted by Dreamhost, currently on a server named “tucana” (previously on “hi-c”, RIP). Two weeks ago tucana had a couple of outages. These were definitely longer than I’m used to, but I more than get what I pay for with Dreamhost – if I were selling services I would be using a coloed server. For the money I pay, a 24 hour outage every 2-3 years is actually pretty good.
So I wasn’t too terribly put out by the outage – I had local backups from the night before. I sat back to wait it out. It came back up with (mostly) all of my files(*) and I was happy. But they made one small change that I noticed immediately – they changed the “font” of the server name in the motd file.
Here’s the old banner:
_ | |_ _ _ __ __ _ _ _ __ _ | _| || / _/ _` | ' \/ _` | \__|\_,_\__\__,_|_||_\__,_| Welcome to tucana.dreamhost.com
And here’s the new banner:
| _| | | _| _` | \ _` | \__|\_,_|\__|\__,_|_| _|\__,_| Welcome to tucana.dreamhost.com
I noted it and then moved on, but my brain can’t let it go. Every time I log in I notice that the banner is different. I’m really ready for my brain to stop caring about this…
(*) Everything in my home directory was found and current, but, since they put a new OS on the server, my crontab was missing. They eventually restored one, but it was several weeks old. Fortunately at some point I started dumping it into my home directly every night so it would get picked up by my backups – whew!